My building place – a update
Before, I have already talked about the design of my new building place. In fact, the design phase lies back more than 2 months already. Also I have been working on this for quite a while with a lot of big breaks due to time restrictions, bad weather or simply not being there to do it.
As I had mentioned, the parts were already finished, so last week I began to assemble this beast. I started to make the vertical frames. These were rather easy. Since I had already prepared the holes in the beginning, I could basically lay them together and put the screws in. Oh, how I assumed that would be easy. In some places I had to improvise a little bit, because some of the pieces wouldn’t go together in a straight way. But I got it sorted out.
After that, I had to apply another layer of color. I used an acrylic color, which is suitable for wood and also can be applied indoors. Gladly, the weather was totally awesome when I did it and I could make good time. In fact, the applied color dried so fast that the frames where dry at the front when I reached the end.
The next step was to connect the frames with another set of struts for stabilization. That was not as easy as the frame assembly. I had to measure and align parts and be careful when tightening the corner brackets. In the end, I had 2 big parts. The back shelf consisting of the two biggest frames which reach the ceiling and the front shelf of the three lower frames. I also connected them with struts.
The final step was to lay in all the case boards and fix them with some more corner brackets. I underestimated, how long this step could take – and how much pain it would cause. But today I am alright again – haha.
As a final step for yesterday, I already measured and screwed in the corner brackets which will act as support for the strut that will hold the desk boards. Tomorrow I will prepare these struts, fix them to the shelf and wall and mount the desk boards. After that, my building place will be complete and I can start filling the shelf and moving in my storage and sorting.
I find, the shelf itself very sturdy until now. I wasn’t so sure with just the frame, but after fixing all the boards it merely creeks when trying move. Perhaps I’ll fix it to the wall, but I don’t think this will be necessary.
Hi-Res Pictures available in my Brickshelf folder.