I just got new sets. Among them the 42028 – Bulldozer. I also want to expand on my YouTube coverage. So I imagined a plan on how to do that. I don’t want to do plain video reviews right now, though they are nice. I am also lacking proper equipment to do that in a decent quality. First on the list was the problem with filming. I only have various Smartphones and a DSLR. But my DSLR is not able to record movies. Bummer. I then remembered my “old” Smartphone also having a relatively decent camera.
In addition to that, I remembered Sariel’s not so old “behind the scenes” video where he showed off his eqipment, including various brick-built mounts. So I decided to do the following:
- make a timelapse video of the build
- record that with my old smartphone
- build a mount for the smartphone
Please note: I will refer to this mostly as camera mount, because of the function it has. While in reality it is more a smartphone mount.
So I first began to think about the perspective and after that how I could mount the Smartphone. I settled for a top-down perspective. Since I thought it would be too much work to make something for a straight top-down, I also decided to make it having a slight tilt. This is what I came up with first:
As you can see, it has a 45° tilt and you can rotate the turntable to make tilted shots. This really was the initial build. I directly used the long frame, so it would stand stable and won’t tip over easily. Also my HTC One S fits perfectly in the 1-stud gap of the holder and sits tight enough. I can even squeeze in my HTC One, but that will bend the construction a little. With this I shot the first videos.
I pondered about the design a while when I was making a version in LDD. I thought it would be useful to have the mount stand vertical, so I can make normal shots with it. So I added a few more bent liftarms.
With this, I can put this whole thing in a vertical position to make straight shots. The only problem was, that it could now tip to the sides easily. So I inserted a axle in the bent part and put some bushes at the end. Now it stands strong in both positions.
For a first Smartphone mount, I am very satisfied. It wen’t through various minor changes and right now it already is quite versatile. Right now it is stable, I can use it for various perspectives and the construction is not visible when making pictures or videos. I already have some ideas for a next version. That one will probably have mechanical tilt and the mount might be adjustable to the thickness of the smartphone.
What do you think of it? Do you like it? Comments are very welcome, either here or on the Facebook page.
More hi-res pictures are available in my Brickshelf folder once moderated.
Here you can download the .lxf for the current version of the mount.
Finally my building place is finished. Now I just need to move all my tech and Lego stuff in and I am done. I hope to get this all done this weekend. It is really huge and I already love it. And here are some pictures and stats!
Last week on thursday and then on the weekend, I had some time to do some building. I continued to build the Red Coupé Supercar created by Lipko. To be honest, I already finished it on sunday evening. But I want to talk about the building process a little bit instead of presenting the final model (I still need to make some adjustments).
I basically had 5 building sessions: Read the rest of this entry